By Matthew Dabros
Citizens, newshounds, and watchdog businesses declare that U.S. Congress participants serve particular curiosity teams in go back for profitable jobs in when they depart office—and that those legislators develop into lax of their ultimate time period of place of work as they're not forced by means of elections to supply caliber illustration to voters. This booklet investigates the veracity of those claims.
• deals a well timed and fact-based standpoint at the courting among legislators and distinct curiosity companies, one during which exact pursuits constrain—not exploit—lawmakers' opportunistic proclivities
• records how the terror of reduced post-office employment possibilities compels legislators to provide caliber illustration instead of succumb to opportunism within the ultimate time period of officeholding and within the absence of electoral constraints
• finds that post-Congressional careers entail greater than simply lobbying via an updated accounting of the profession judgements of virtually each senator and consultant who left place of work among 2001 and 2011
• Investigates and identifies the key elements that suggested legislators to stay in public carrier, absorb a occupation in lobbying or in different places within the inner most zone, or retire from paintings altogether
Read or Download Careers after Congress: Do Jobseeking Legislators Shortchange Constituents? PDF
Best government books
During this research, we heavily element the Predator complex inspiration know-how Demonstration (ACTD) and likewise rfile the $64000 demonstration and transition matters from the undertaking that may be utilized to different ACTDs.
The knowledge of time period limits politics has been debated because the time of Aristotle, spurring 'reforms' of legislatures in Athens, Rome, Venice, and within the US lower than the Articles of Confederation. This publication examines fresh tendencies in American states as a way to examine the age-old query of ways the foundations that govern a legislature impact the habit of its contributors and the regulations that it produces.
This can be the e-book of the published publication and should no longer contain any media, site entry codes, or print supplementations that can come packaged with the certain booklet. up-to-date in its eighth variation, Politics and coverage in States & Communities distinguishes itself via its hugely available writing sort, inclusion of targeted subject matters akin to tribal governments, huge dialogue of intergovernmental kinfolk, and its concentrate on the connection among govt and the governed--how people are suffering from executive judgements and the way members effect public coverage ("face-to-face" approach).
This publication is a entire learn of cooperation one of the complex capitalist international locations. Can cooperation persist with no the dominance of a unmarried energy, corresponding to the USA after international battle II? to reply to this urgent query, Robert Keohane analyzes the associations, or "international regimes," during which cooperation has taken position on the earth political economic system and describes the evolution of those regimes as American hegemony has eroded.
- The Surge: 2014's Big GOP Win and What It Means for the Next Presidential Election
- The Big Disconnect: Why the Internet Hasn't Transformed Politics (Yet)
- Collective Action under the Articles of Confederation
- China as a Polar Great Power
Additional info for Careers after Congress: Do Jobseeking Legislators Shortchange Constituents?